Over the past years I’ve had my fair share of motivated mornings and not so motivated mornings. When I get out of a workout routine, sometimes it can feel like I literally have to rip myself out of bed to go to the gym.
I get how hard it can be to convince yourself to get out of your comfortable, cozy, soft, heavenly bed and go for a run or to a bootcamp class. It hardly sounds like a fair exchange.
But there are some incredibly effective tips and techniques that I’ve implemented over the past few years that have helped me maintain my workout motivation and a steady 5-days a week routine, even when I’m traveling.
I have 30 of these tips (yes 30) that I’m going to share with you today. I’m sharing so many because if there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s that there is no one-size-fits-all formula for anything, especially not maintaining motivation to workout.
If you really want to create lasting positive changes in your life, you have to be willing to experiment with various techniques to find the ones that work best for you. So pick a few a week and see how they work and then stay as consistent as possible to see if they have staying power.
However, here’s an important note: You may find that one technique works really well for a few weeks, but then wears off. So be proactive and see what others you can implement to keep you on track.
I’ve split these tips up into several sections that will help you stay motivated and inspired before, during and after your workouts.
i want you to get as much staying power as possible and be able to have tools to use at any point along the way to overcome challenges you may experience.
- Don’t exercise to lose weight. Exercise to be healthy, love your body and feel good!
- Surround yourself with inspiration (stories, quotes, images, etc.)
- Give yourself permission to start slow
- Let go of results and make the habit the goal
- Stay active throughout the day, don’t just focus on gym time
- Choose workouts you enjoy (remember, look for solutions, not excuses!)
NIGHT BEFORE A WORKOUT
- Get to bed at a reasonable time so you can wake up early
- Set your intention the night before that you’ll get restful sleep and wake up refreshed
- Set 2 alarms, preferably one across the room
- Put your workout clothes out the night before
- Pack your gym bag the night before
- Schedule your workouts into your calendar
- Drink a glass of water immediately and do a light stretch to wake your body up
- Put your workout clothes on immediately when you wake up or before you leave the office
- Put on some upbeat music BEFORE you workout
- Set small goals
- Do a 5-10 minute visualization before your workout of yourself feeling energized, fit and amazing
- Create a killer playlist
- Breathe positive mantras and energy into your body
- Look for stop and go points as you run
- Focus on finishing rather than how fast you go (it’s ok to slow down, but don’t give up)
- Give gratitude to your body and yourself
- Share your progress on social media
- Link your positive habit with another, by having a healthy post-workout meal
- Take a moment to pause, stretch and feel into your body
- Hire a trainer
- Pay for a class or gym membership
- Find a workout buddy
- Announce your health journey on social media
- Buy some new sneakers/workout gear (invest in your health)
What are some of your favorite ways to stay motivated to workout? Share your comments below!